Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Commentary: Why I'm a rabid Nintendo fan.

A comment I made on a news article* at Gonintendo.com

As for my personal take on the systems... well, I'm going to be extremely frank: I bought the Wii just for Nintendo's games. Motion sensing or no, my decision would've been the same. There are very, VERY few companies I like outside of the Nintendo bracket (unless you count NES/SNES era games). I found that out the hard way with the PS2, where I only have half the games of the Gamecube and have a lower like/hate ratio compared to the Cube. While it's obvious that I'm going to think along those lines with ratable content (Nintendo pretty much is the Disney/Pixar of the game industry), I was surprised at how much I hated most PS2 games on a gameplay standpoint. The Dark Cloud series was disappointing, Suikoden 3 was lukewarm, and the two big platformer series ("Jak" and "Ratchet & Clank"), while rather surprising in their own regards, were merely passable in my view.

Frankly, the only games keeping me from getting rid of my PS2 are the Kingdom Hearts series and Shadow of the Colossus. If I had the KH series and Team ICO's games on the Wii, I would need nothing else.


I never really thought about it till recently, but even though aiming towards more family-oriented content is more than enough reason to stick with Nintendo's stuff (as it's hard to find anything good elsewhere that isn't filled with profanity and insubordinate amounts of sexually suggestive material), I came to realize that I didn't care much for many of the games I had on the PS2 from the gameplay standpoint.

By the way, I should make it clear that I have no delusions of a Team ICO game heading to any non-Sony platform. They are definitely an in-house Sony team, and I'm sure anything that changes that would be extreme and probably result in the team disappearing from the industry rather than switching publishers.

*(note: Link goes to an unmoderated comments section. Click at thy own risk!).

No comments: